Once again, the time has come for another edition of the Shopping Guide section in Estila Magazine (previously High in Style Magazine). For the November issue, my inspiration was ‘Tartan’ which seems to be so popular this season. Maybe some of you are more familiar with the term ‘Plaid’, but what many of you may not know is that there is a difference between the two. So, how do you tell the difference?
Designer Scot Meacham Wood, formerly of Ralph Lauren puts it this way;
”All tartans are plaid, but, not all plaids are tartan. All plaids and tartans are comprised of stripes (in varying sizes and colors) that meet at a 90-degree angle. With most every tartan, the pattern on the stripes running vertically is exactly duplicated on the horizontal axis too. Basically, this matching pattern in both directions will create a grid. When looking at a simple plaid, you’ll notice that the stripes – either in color, size, or pattern – are not the same in both directions.”
Now that you know the difference, be sure to check out the section and the entire magazine here:
SHOP THE LOOK
1. HOUSE OF FRASER – Vivienne Westwood Derby Mac Henry Tartan Backpack Bag
2. JOHN LEWIS – BARBOUR – Stainless Steel Tartan Cover Hip Flask
3. LIBERTY LONDON – AVOCA – Manhattan Tartan Mohair Throw
4. SOCIETY SIX – Framed Art Print Plaid Trophy Deer
5. MY THERESA – TORY BURCH – Tartan Skirt
6. ANTHROPOLOGIE – Tartan-Etched Flatware
7. DESIGN PUBLIC – Gus Modern Hex Ottoman
8. HOUSE OF FRASER - DENTS Ladies Tartan Gloves with Faux Fur Cuff
Hope you enjoyed and happy shopping.